Pintrest

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pre Season 2012 Strawberry Pie!


Strawberry Pie
posted Apr 23, 2012 by ValerieColvin


My First Strawberry Pie!

Our second strawberry season is in full swing! I want to praise God for the bountiful harvest thus far. We've improved our methods, so the harvest, though much bigger, is easier this year. our berries have a taste like no other strawberries I've ever eaten. Folks comment on this weekly. If you haven't tried them yet this season, visit your farmer's market this week to taste the difference.

We pick berries almost every day. There is always half a bus tub for me to process into our yummy strawberry jam, freeze whole for green smoothies, or experiment with a recipe with. Faith Anne (11) is my berry processor. She culls, caps, and mashes the berries each day. She's my "right hand gal"! Today I wanted to encourage the family to be faithful in their work. Days on our farm start early, and end when supper is served around 8:30. I appreciate all the hard work my "farm boys" do! Here's what I made today:

Colvin Family Farm Strawberry Pie

1 1/4 C. sugar (I used raw cane juice crystals)
2 C. water
2 T. cornstarch
1/8 t. sea salt
3 oz. pkg. sugar free strawberry gelatin
1 qt. strawberries, cut in half if large, smaller ones left whole
1 baked pie shell, size depending on your pie plate

Cook sugar, water, cornstarch, and salt until thickened. Add gelatin and stir to dissolve. Cool. Put strawberries into cooled pie shell. . Spoon gelatin over the berries. Top wit whipped cream. (We used vanilla ice cream since we live 35 minutes from the grocery store and I din't have whipped cream.)

What do you think about our berries? What is your favorite way to eat them? Share your recipes here!

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit."      Matthew 7:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment