Pintrest

Friday, June 4, 2021

A Letter Back to my Younger Self



1996 with eight of our 13 children...If I knew then what I know now how would I change things?

If I could send back advice to myself as a young mother to a growing family I'd say....

1. I know you are tired...you will be for years! But getting up and spending time ALONE with the Lord is a MUST! Make yourself a cup of tea, and visualize yourself like Mary, sitting at Jesus' feet each morning.  In that quiet time the Spirit will give you wisdom and strength to serve Him, meeting the needs of your family each day. The peaceable spirit the Lord will give will guide you throughout your day.
     One way to stay engaged (and not fall asleep) is to copy Scripture. Try it! You'll slow down enough to really connect with God's Word.  Another quicker method is to write down one Truth to live out that the Holy Spirit pointed out onto index cards. (I like the spiral bound ones to keep my lessons together.) Keep it by the sink to meditate on while you wash dishes. 

2008
Steve is pictured with seven of our eight boys.


"O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;" Psalm 63:1

2. Do you remember how you gave your whole life to Christ? Do the same with Steve. Stop struggling with obedience. Yes, your way may be better in some circumstances, but you are not called to be the leader; he is. Pray for him daily to have God's wisdom to lead you and the family. Then TRUST that God is doing that, and you'll see Steve's direction as God's will for you. There is peace in true submission.

2015
 "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord." Ephesians 5:22

3. Pray and prepare little hearts to serve Jesus Christ, but always remember the children will have a free will to choose their own path. Luke 15:11-32

 1996 and pregnant with our thirteenth child. Three had left home by now and the Lord was still busy teaching me many lessons I needed to know. 


4. This world has a FAR BIGGER draw on your children than you can ever imagine. All that you can do to protect them from the world's draw, bad influeces, and even molesters may not be enough. Pray for a high hedge of protection around your children and then trust God's hand in their lives. 

"Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side?" Job 1:10a

2008


5. With all your mind tells you to get done, there are more important things to do.. PLAY...CUDDLE...LISTEN...REPEAT. Your to-do list isn't as important as the oftentimes unseen needs of your children. 


6. Understand that each child has different needs. Yes, you say you know that, but slow down enough to meet them individually instead as a group. They need to know that they are special and you care enough to see them as individuals. 


"Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering..." Colossians 3:12

7. Pray about the proper time for each lesson you want to teach your children. It may not be the right timing in a particular child's life for the lesson that sounds like fun to do as a family. It can be a great lesson/activity, but what really matters is how that child will PERCEIVE the lesson. Slow down enough to have them tell you what they learned from each lesson. Then you can catch any misconception that will scar their young hearts. 

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1:5

8. I know you are working on using your words wisely but make it a PRIORITY. Don't let your exasperation set a fire that you'll never be able to put out. 
"Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips." Psalms 141:3

9. Guard you heart. Just like you, each young adult will make mistakes along the way, or even choose a path you know will bring heartache. Pray that God will put His hand of protection around your heart and emotions.  Continue to love them and pray for them amidst your heartache. 



10. I know you like to fix things, but a lot of life's lessons take time to learn. Know that God's timing is much different than your own and give Him time to work. Be quiet, and ask Him to tell you SPECIFICALLY if He'd like to use you. 

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." 
Jermemiah 29:11

"...all things work together for good to them that love 
God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

No mother is perfect. These lessons will take time, effort, and submission to the Spirit. You are learning right along with your children. Pray they will forgive your humaness.
                          Abundant Blessings,
                          The Farmer's Wife
                                   Val

I'm still mothering after thirty-eight years...


P.S. I know if you've read this far you'd like to receive notifications of future posts. Blogspot will soon be deleting the email notification app. I am praying about creating a new website with updated features where we can really interact as comments are also persnickity. Please pray with me for a new look in the near future! If you have any wisdom or know a place where I can post for free, please email me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Val! I don't have any tips on where to post, but I'd sure like to know if you move your blog somewhere else. Have a great day! (The e-mail this is showing isn't the right one. thgardner@bledsoe.net is correct.)

    ReplyDelete