Pintrest

Saturday, August 21, 2021

REST


We all live such busy lives! Even if your work is at home, the many interruptions of the media make our lives seem busier than they really are. We're used to instant answers when we "Ask Google", we're used to the quick and easy meals that can be made in under 30 minutes, and we're even used to fulfilling our "every wish" by just jumping over to Amazon and hitting the "Buy it Now" button. Waiting for something to show up that wasn't PRIME seems to take forever! We've forgotten the how to practice the patience it takes to wait.


As mothers, it seems we're always waiting forsomething. One of our first lessons is waiting 9 long months for our lil' one to arrive! Then we can't wait for nursing to become natural, the baby to sleep through the night, or for your toddler to learn to fall asleep by themselves! We can't wait for our child to walk so we don't have to carry them, and then we can't wait for them to learn to stay with us as we walk in public....as Mommas, we're always waiting for something! We can't wait for Daddy to come home. We can't wait for payday. We can't wait for a better house...car...(fill in the blank). Even at 60 I'm waiting for a teenagers to "grow up"! (Take that from a Momma of 13 whose oldest is about to turn 38.) 

Like I've written in the past, I've been waiting...and waiting...and waiting a long time for answers to some of my prayers. Isn't God tired of me asking the same things repeatedly? 

"And therefore will the Lord wait, that He may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the Lord is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for him." 

 Isaiah 30:18


Why does the Lord wait so long to answer our pleas? It's not because He isn't listening, but because He is waiting...on me...on us. 

Noah Webster uses the word "rest" in defining the word wait. In John 15, Jesus is teaching us about His role in our lives as the Vine, and He keeps pointing to the word "abide" as I read through it. Again the word "rest" is used to define "abide"! What is the Lord trying to tell us? He is waiting for US to learn a few lessons before granting us our petitions in prayer. He wants us to be content to rest, awaiting His time. 

Now, I'm a doer. If it can be accomplished with a


check by it on my to-do list I'm happy. The genteel art of "waiting on another" is more difficult for me, and He knows it. He also knows that I need to learn to wait on Him...and He's waiting till I learn to rest before my  prayers are answered. 

This lesson must be over 30 years in the making as I've once again given my children to the Lord....hands off...prayers engaged. I cannot make lasting change in my family's lives as it must be the work of the Holy Spirit. 

Since He knows I'm a "doer", He's directing my energy


learning to bless others. With only two at home now, my time has been more free. He's opening my eyes to needs I can meet, and learning to truly rest on the weightier issues. As a friend says, "He's GOT THIS!" He will not delay one hour too long! 
He will answer my prayers when I've learned to rest.

Abundant Blessings,

The Farmer's Wife

Val




2 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear your thoughts about the paths the Lord is using in your life to "train you up in the way you should go." Somehow this comment section is easily overlooked. Why not leave a comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val!! What a wonderful blog post on rest. My husband and I are learning a lot about rest right now actually. We are both doers too! It is hard to get us to "take it easy" but we both feel the Lord nudging us to rest more. Wait on Him! We have a 2 year old and a 6 month old and wow its teaching us so much. Praying the Lord will lead us in parenting. This world doesn't have time for parenting. They are always chasing after everything else... we don't want that life! We want to be invested in our children and their eternal lives! Lord help us to rest and be content.

    ReplyDelete